About the project
The majority of Americans support the right to a safe and legal abortion.
In June 2022, the decision by the Supreme Court in Dobbs vs. Jackson Women’s Health Organization effectively overturned Roe v. Wade. Without a federal mandate, access to abortion is now determined by each state. Public support for legal abortion in all or most cases remains largely unchanged since before the Dobbs decision, with 62% saying it should be legal in all or most cases (Pew Research, 2022). Yet more than half the states in the country now partially or completely ban access to abortion (New York Times, 2022).
The United States for Abortion project was created to bring attention to diverse and regional perspectives on abortion rights. The need for safe and legal abortion is nuanced and complex. Lack of access to abortion significantly impacts people’s lives in different ways. We are calling on designers from all 50 states plus Washington D.C. and the colonized territory of Puerto Rico to design artwork in support of the right to safe and legal abortion for all. The artwork is sold as t-shirts, prints and stickers. 100% of profits go to the National Network of Abortion Funds.
We aim to:
- Enlist participation from at least one designer in all 50 states as well as Washington, D.C. and the colonized territory of the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico.
- Fundraise for abortion funds and abortion justice organizations
- Increase the visibility of support for abortion rights and reproductive justice
- Destigmatize abortion
- Combat complacency and denial
- Generate dialogue about the granular issues relating to abortion (beyond just platitudes)
- Address mis/disinformation about the wide-reaching consequences of the overturning of Roe (privacy, access to providers, forced birth/eugenics, data surveillance, miscarriage care, cancer care, etc.)
- Inspire hope and solidarity, not despair